Sunday 5 June 2011

I have a 1995 Honda Accord with rear shoe brakes, I have looked at them before and they are almost gone.......

.........I need them to be changed, it costs a lot of money to change them, and, I don%26#039;t want to pay over 150 just to change my brakes, which I already have. Is it easy to change rear shoes on a 95 honda accord 4 door? or not? Is there a website that shows how to do it step by step, please reply, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!|||It is easy if you have someone show you how to do it. I would not recommend doing it for the first time right out of the book.


Your Chilton%26#039;s manual for that car has a step-by-step procedure to replace the shoes. Do one side at a time, leaving the other side as is to compare the placement of the springs and self-adjusters. You also need to look at the wearing surface inside the drums and see if they need to be turned. If they have been turned too many times, they will need to be replaced. If it is simply resurfacing the shoes and drums, you should not have to pay more than $100 per axle (both sides). If it is determined that you need wheel cylinders or other parts, $150 is reasonable and you can count on paying more.|||It is easy. I%26#039;m sure there%26#039;s a website. Honda%26#039;s are notorious for their bad brakes, so it%26#039;s not a bad skill to know.





Why did I get thumbs down? I love Hondas. They are great cars, except that their brakes wear quickly...and I%26#039;ve always had to replace an exhaust on each Honda I have owned.|||it is not very difficult.mt advise is only change one side at at time so you have a working model if you get confused in reassembly.|||Autozone can give you a printout with pics of how to do it.|||its not that hard of a job to do ,if i was you id invest in a good repair manual ,some shops do charge a lot of money for doing this,with the manual it will help you do this job and others ,there are sites that show this but the illustrations they give are very vague at best,and don%26#039;t help that much,a good manual will be around for along time,and will even help you to tune your own car up.its worth the 15 bucks it cost,get a Haynes manual if you buy one their the best for this purpose,good luck with it hope this helps.|||its not that hard take off the wheel and drum on both sides use one side as a guide. the brakes are held on by a spring loaded clip. get a chilton or haynes from an auto store or better yet free from a library for the step by step make sure you pay attention to the location of everything you can do it good luck|||As a mechanic, I%26#039;d say it%26#039;s rated as pretty straight forward. It always helps to have the right tools and correct instructions. Also, on the wheel cylinders, pull back the boots carefully and if any fluid seeps out, the wheel cylinders will need replacement too and that will additionally require bleeding the brakes. Also, while the drums are off, you%26#039;ll want to clean, inspect and repack or replace the wheel bearings and install fresh bearing seals. Do yourself a favor and get a repair manual from the parts store. Get quality parts, not the cheap stuff from auto zone for gods sake. And lastly, if you aren%26#039;t pretty comfortable doing the job, think of this, would you let your Mom drive the car or your sweetheart drive it after you did the work? If you hesitated answering that question, have a professional do it. I have seen more people make dangerous repairs due to lack of knowledge or cheap corner store parts and brakes are nothing to mess with. That%26#039;s what keeps your car from *** ending some truck on the roadway etc.





If you paid $150-$200 for a job that is done right and warrantied, think of all the time you%26#039;d spend doing it yourself.. I%26#039;d bet you could take that time and do what you are a professional at and make the money. I have an old saying between a friend of mine who is a roofer. I am always fixing his f ups on his car. I told him, I won%26#039;t touch the roof on my house if you don%26#039;t touch your car. So, he fixes my roof (professionally) and I fix the cars. (professionally) just a thought|||take it to auto zone,they will hook up the scan tool and check for codes,tell them that my ex husband sent you and they may even fix it for free,or you can buy a haynes manual for $20 and it will show you everything,don%26#039;t forget to change your air and fuel filters too,good luck,hope this helps